This simple recipe not only has 5 ingredients, excluding the pantry staple olive oil, but it also cooks in one pot. For a vegetarian version, omit the salmon and add a can of drained and rinsed chickpeas at the end of cooking. This dish can also be made with chicken. Simply brown chunks of chicken breast and set aside before sautéing the vegetables. Add the chicken back in with the quinoa. Since the pesto does most of the flavoring, be sure to splurge on one that’s high quality. Feel free to use any fresh spring vegetables you like – peas, fennel, mushrooms and delicate greens are all welcome additions.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 bunch asparagus, woody ends snapped off, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 12 ounces frozen artichoke hearts, defrosted
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 1 lb wild salmon filets
- ½ cup prepared pesto
Directions for Preparing:
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large sided skillet on medium-high heat.
- Add asparagus and cook until crisp-tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add artichokes and cook another 5 minutes.
- Add quinoa and stir to combine.
- Add 1 ½ cups water, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil.
- Top with salmon filets.
- Sprinkle salmon with salt and pepper. Cover, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, 15 minutes until salmon is cooked through and quinoa is tender. If after 15 minutes there is still liquid in the quinoa, remove salmon to a plate, cover and simmer another 3-5 minutes until water is absorbed.
- Stir pesto into the quinoa. Season with additional salt and pepper if needed.
- Serve salmon over a bed of quinoa and spring vegetables.
Rachael Hartley is a Columbia, SC based private practice dietitian and food & wellness blogger at Avocado A Day Nutrition. She helps men and women lose weight and improve their physical and mental health and wellbeing with a whole foods based approach to nutrition. She is available for nutrition coaching and meal planning throughout the US via telephone and Skype.
Have a Pure Fuel recipe of your own that you’d like to share with the ‘Pure Barre Family?’ Submit your recipe and its story here for a chance to be featured on the Pure Barre blog!