Mother’s Day is right around the corner and what better way to say thank you then by preparing her a delicious and nourishing breakfast. Think of all the days your mother scrambled to get breakfast on the table for you! Let her kick back her feet and enjoy a few slices of banana bread, scrambled eggs and a side of fruit salad. My mom always prepared banana bread as a special treat for me, so I thought it would be fun to create a nutritious and equally tasty recipe. This recipe uses a mixture of coconut flour and almond meal, making it grain free and gluten free, but still moist and tender. Feel free to add toasted walnuts or cinnamon if you like; I kept this recipe simple to bring out the banana flavor. I served it with a quick apple butter, made by simmering pureed apples, finely chopped dates, lemon juice, cinnamon and a couple tablespoons of chia seeds to thicken.
- 2 cups mashed bananas (about 4-5 medium bananas)
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons coconut sugar, brown sugar or pure maple syrup
- 1 cup almond meal
- ¼ cup coconut flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Oil a bread pan.
- In a large bowl, whisk together bananas, eggs, vanilla, and coconut sugar. In a medium bowl, whisk together almond meal, coconut flour, baking powder and salt. Whisk dry ingredients into the wet until well combined. Pour into oiled loaf pan.
- Place in the oven and bake 45-50 minutes until a knife inserted into the middle comes out clean.
Rachael Hartley is a Columbia, SC based private practice dietitian and food & wellness blogger at Avocado A Day Nutrition. She helps men and women lose weight and improve their physical and mental health and wellbeing with a whole foods based approach to nutrition. She is available for nutrition coaching and meal planning throughout the US via telephone and Skype.