There are few things in life that I love as much as eating delicious and nourishing food, but travel is definitely one of those things. So as you can imagine, eating great food while traveling is a great passion of mine!
When summer rolls around, many of my clients start to voice concerns over how to eat healthfully when on vacation. Maybe you’ve had the same worries? Relax. Food is a big part of traveling, whether it’s savoring an ice cream cone with family on the beach, experiencing a new cultures cuisine or checking out a trendy new restaurant. If your day-to-day eating habits are balanced and based on whole foods, a few weeks of vacation splurges aren’t going to harm.
However, in the process of getting to your destination, you’ll likely be confronted with plenty of unhealthy and not very tasty food – overpriced soggy sandwiches at the airport, greasy fast food, bags of chips at the gas station. With a little bit of planning and prep, you can have plenty of nutritious snacks on hand to keep you satisfied till your destination! Here are some of my favorites:
AVOCADOS // Packed with healthy fats, avocado makes a filling and satiating snack. I sneak a packet of mustard or hot sauce and enjoy one with a spoon!
FRESH FRUIT // Great for hydrating too, especially important when you’re traveling on a plane.
DARK CHOCOLATE // Full of antioxidants!
KALE SALAD // Sturdy kale won’t wilt when dressed. I store it packed in a mason jar with an ice pack.
NUTS & SEEDS // For travel, I store a mixture of nuts and seeds in a recycled spice tin.
PRUNES // Great for digestion, especially important when you travel!
FRESH VEGETABLES // I love to pack fresh cut veggies in a mini-mason jar with a scoop of hummus at the bottom.
COOKIES // Tame that sweet tooth with a healthy snack cookie made with whole grain flour and lightly sweetened with an unrefined sweetener.
SMOOTHIES // Not plane-friendly thanks to the liquid limits, but when I have a road trip, I double up my morning smoothie and store half in a portable bottle.
GRANOLA // Granola is perfect snacking food, but most store bought brands are packed with sugar. This recipe for granola is sweetened with banana and a dash of honey.
Makes about 6 cups
- 2 medium bananas
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 3 tablespoons melted coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- A pinch of sea salt
- 3 cups oats
- 1 cup puffed whole grain cereal, like puffed brown rice or puffed millet
- 1 cup cashews
- 1 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
- ½ cup vanilla plant based protein powder (I used hemp protein)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, mash bananas. Stir in honey, coconut oil, vanilla extract, and sea salt. In another large bowl, stir together oats, cereal, cashews, coconut and protein powder. Stir dry ingredients into the wet ingredients.
- Lightly oil a rimmed baking sheet with coconut oil. Spread the granola evenly over it. Bake for 15 minutes, then lightly stir the granola, moving the outside edges towards the inside. Try not to stir it too much if you like big clusters. Place back in the oven and bake 15-20 minutes until golden. Remove from oven and set aside to cool. Once cool, store in a covered container at room temperature for up to a week.
Rachael Hartley is a Columbia, SC based private practice dietitian and food & wellness blogger at Avocado A Day Nutrition. She helps men and women lose weight and improve their physical and mental health and wellbeing with a whole foods based approach to nutrition. She is available for nutrition coaching and meal planning throughout the US via telephone and Skype.
Have a Pure Fuel recipe of your own that you’d like to share with the ‘Pure Barre Family?’ Submit your recipe and its story here for a chance to be featured on the Pure Barre blog!
Have you snagged your Pure Barre Passport from your local studio yet? Keep it in tow as you travel around Pure Barre nation. If you need a little LTB while you travel, check to see if your studio of choice is offering a special Pure Barre Passport package!
From July 1 – July 31, take class at three or more UNIQUE studio locations and you’re automatically entered to win a trip for two to the fabulous Hyatt Playa Del Carmen in the beautiful Riviera Maya in Mexico! (Simply sign up for classes using the same email address you typically use – and yes, taking a class at your home studio counts.) Five lucky winners will also win a $100 gift card to Rent The Runway!