Avocado and grapefruit segments are very delicate to handle, but their colors and flavors are strong and beautiful. Start 2017 with some spice with this unique recipe!
Choose to assemble this salad on individual plates, or on a large platter. Unleash your creativity; allow shape and color to guide the look of this freestyle presentation.
Avocado and Grapefruit Salad with Chili
- 1 red jalapeno pepper, cut in half
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 avocados, peeled and sliced
- 2 grapefruits, peeled and cut into segments
- 12 -16 sprigs of fresh cilantro
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- Dash of fresh ground pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Place the red jalapeno pepper and the olive oil into a small bowl. Smash with the blunt end of a wooden spoon or a muddler to infuse the olive oil.
- Evenly distribute the avocado and grapefruit segments on your plates or platter. (Segmenting the grapefruit by cutting in between the fruit’s membrane is recommended, but cutting into rounds or wedges works too.)
- Remove the pepper from the oil.
- Drizzle the infused olive oil over the fruits. (You may have some oil left over.)
- Garnish with fresh cilantro sprigs and leaves.
- Add a few grinds of sea salt and black pepper.
- Dot the plate with a few red pepper flakes.
Serving this salad immediately after composing is the best way to keep the color of the avocado vibrant.
– Megan Twining is a teacher at Pure Barre Crofton. As a graduate of The Culinary Institute of America, she has professionally cooked in restaurants, hotels, at the US Embassies in France, Lithuania, and Russia, and as a food stylist for the celebrity chefs of FOOD NETWORK. Follow the Pure Barre Crofton Foodie on Instagram: @megan.twining