With our Pure Madness challenge in full swing, what better time to look inside yourself and discover ways to take your Pure Barre practice to the next level? You have at least 20 classes in the next 31 days to dig deep and kick it up a notch! We teachers often tell our clients, “Only you can determine how far you’ll go,” and it’s so true! Your teacher is there to encourage you, support you, and challenge you, but only YOU can decide to break down your mental barrier and push yourself past what you thought were your limits! Here are my tips to start moving toward (and eventually diving over) your edge:
- It’s only temporary. Human beings are capable of amazing things, and your body truly is SO much stronger than you think. When your thighs feel like they’ve walked through fire and there’s an earthquake rippling through your body, it can be easy to tell yourself “I’ve worked hard enough, I can pull back now.” But remember, the burning and shaking is only temporary. Before you know it, you’ll be out of that position and on to something else – and the difficult hurdle will no longer seem impossible, but something you leapt over with ease. Remind yourself that it’s only temporary, and challenge yourself to make it through without a break.
- Wait just 10 more seconds. When you think you want to come out of a position because it’s just so tough, ask yourself “what would happen if I held it just 10 more seconds?” Even if you do end up coming out of the position for a quick break, you’ll be proud of yourself for hanging on for 10 seconds longer than you wanted to. Soon, 10 seconds will turn into 20, then 30, and eventually you’ll be holding the position the entire time with nary a thought of giving up.
- Listen carefully. Your teacher is a wealth of knowledge about each position you do in class, and she wants to share it with you. Rather than relying on watching your teacher, challenge yourself to close your eyes and listen. Focus on the words she uses to describe the work you’re doing. You may hear something that will take your understanding of the position to the next level and help you dig deeper into it than you ever have before.
- Take the options! You’ve heard it a hundred times, and here it comes again: When your teacher offers you a more challenging option, take it! The only way to get stronger is to work harder and get out of your own way. Instead of telling yourself, “That option isn’t for me, I can’t do that,” remove the word “can’t” from your vocabulary and give it a go – you never know until you try!
- Ask questions. Teachers love when their clients ask them questions – it means we get to share our knowledge on a deeper level. There’s only so much time during class to focus on any one thing, but we’re happy to share everything we’ve got with you afterward. Have you been struggling with a certain position? Not sure you’re doing it right? Need clarification on some of our Pure Barre lingo? Take the chance after class to ask your teacher. The more you know… :)
Do you have any tips to share with your Pure Barre community? How are you using the Pure Madness challenge to take your practice to the next level? Share with us in the comments below – we would love to hear from you!
Kara Varilone, Pure Barre enthusiast since early 2009, is a Pure Barre Master Teacher Trainer and Regional Training Specialist based out of Denver, Colorado.