Think outside the box with avocados – they can be used for other than making guacamole! Try putting avocados in your egg or chicken salad, spread it on toast, bake an egg in it, and even try it in your dessert.
Did you know that when you blend an avocado, it has the perfect creaminess to be made into a mousse? I tried it, and it was decadent and delicious! Not to mention you’re getting the health benefits of the avocado as well. Avocados are loaded with fiber, heart healthy monounsaturated fats, and potassium. Enjoy a treat while nourishing your body for the holidays!
Mint Chocolate Avocado Mousse
- 1 Mint chocolate bar
- ¼ Cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 4 Very ripe avocados
- ½ Cup agave nectar
- ½ Cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/3 Cup almond milk
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Candy cane pieces, garnish
- Place the chocolate chips and mint chocolate bar in a double broiler, or a small bowl over a saucepan filled with about 2 inches boiling water.
- Stir the chocolate until it’s melted and smooth.
- Place the melted chocolate, avocados, agave, cocoa powder, almond milk, vanilla extract, and salt into a large bowl.
- Using a hand held mixer, blend with your mixer until smooth and creamy (make sure there are no chunks of avocado).
- Serve mousse in individual bowls or glasses and garnish with candy cane pieces (I used a piping bag to pipe the mousse into glasses)
- Refrigerate until you’re ready to serve. Note: this recipe can be prepared one day in advance.
– From Pure Barre enthusiast, Gabrielle Terzano, client at Pure Barre South Jersey, NJ – Haddonfield.
About Gabrielle: My passion is living well, eating healthy and being physically fit. I want to motivate others and be a mentor for people to lose weight or change their lifestyle for the better. I recently received my Master of Science in Nutrition with a concentration in Obesity and Nutritional Health from Northeastern University.
Find more healthy recipes on her blog!