I love the recipe because it packs a punch in flavor, but it’s easy on the waistline. The salad is full of fiber, vitamins and it’s satisfyingly crunchy! I love making it on a Sunday and then eating it through the week for a quick lunch as it gets better each day as the flavors develop. Sara Forte who started The Sprouted Kitchen Blog created this recipe. She now has one published book and one more coming out soon. Her recipes are seasonal, wholesome and easy to make with ingredients you most likely have in your pantry.
- 3 cups ribbed and chopped kale
- Handful of chopped parsley
- 1 cup cooked black lentils
- 1 green apple, diced
- Half an English cucumber, diced
- 1/2 cup toasted pepitas
- 1 cup shaved Parmesan
- One clove garlic
- 1 Tbsp. honey
- 1 Tbsp. Dijon
- Juice of one lemon
- 1/3 cup pumpkin seed oil or extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper
Directions for preparing:
- In a large salad bowl, combine the kale, parsley, lentils, apples, cucumber, pepitas and Parmesan.
- For the dressing, blitz the garlic, honey, dijon, lemon juice and pumpkin seed oil in a food processor or blender, with salt and pepper to taste, until the garlic is smooth.
- Pour the dressing on the salad and toss well to coat. Garnish with more Parmesan if you wish. The salad will keep in the fridge for a full day and slowly loose it’s crunch from there.
From Pure Barre San Francisco, CA – West Portal studio owner, Lauren Fike
About Lauren: My nutrition 101 class was my absolute favorite class in college and it is what really changed the way I looked at food. One day I would like to become a sports nutritionist so I can help support my clients, not only in fitness, but in their eating habits.
Have a Pure Fuel recipe of your own that you’d like to share with the ‘Pure Barre Family?’ Submit your recipe and its story here for a chance to be featured on the Pure Barre blog!