This is how I feel about guacamole: Either you love it, or you’re wrong. I love guacamole because there is so many different ways you can make it! Avocado has the creaminess that is to die for. Making a creamy, delicious and healthy dip is the greatest use for avocados that I can think of! Plus, they have many health benefits:
- Healthy fats
- No cholesterol
- Low in saturated fat
- High in fiber
- High in potassium (more than bananas!)
I like my guacamole with fruit in it, but you can choose any combination of ingredients to make a guacamole that you love. That is the best thing about guacamole – the possibilities are endless! I chose to make mine with black cherries and pomegranate. There are a lot of pomegranate recipes out there, but I’ve never seen a guacamole with black cherries. This guacamole is smooth and creamy, crunchy, sweet, juicy, and spicy all at the same time!
- 2 avocados
- 2 cloves garlic, diced
- 1/3 sweet onion, diced
- 1 jalapeno, diced and seeds removed (if you like it really spicy, keep the seeds!)
- juice of 1 lime
- 1 tablespoon lime zest
- ½ cup pomegranate seeds
- about 20 cherries, halved and pits removed (you can always dice the cherries, depending on how big you want the pieces)
- handful of cilantro – I used about 2 tablespoons when chopped, but use it to your taste
- salt and pepper to taste
- Put everything except the cherries and pomegranate in a blender and blend until almost smooth. (I kept little chunks.)
- Mix in pomegranate seeds and cherry halves.
- Serve with tortilla chips, use as a taco topping or eat alone – it’s that good!
Gabrielle Terzano loves food, cooking and, of course, Pure Barre. She is currently earning her Master of Science in Nutrition at Northeastern University with a concentration in obesity and nutritional health. Her goal is to inspire others in showing that food nourishes and heals through her passion for living well – because healthy can be delicious. Find more recipes on her blog!
Have a Pure Fuel recipe of your own that you’d like to share with the ‘Pure Barre Family?’ Submit your recipe and its story here for a chance to be featured on the Pure Barre blog!