There really is nothing like a homemade soup on a cold day. Fight the comfort food cravings this winter, and try my hearty and healthy superfoods soup with sweet potato, quinoa, and kale! Warm up without adding extra calories, carbs or fat.
So what’s all the hype about quinoa anyway? Quinoa is a grain that is also a complete protein. One serving (1/4 cup dry) contains a whopping 7 grams of protein. Did you know that kale also contains 3 grams of protein per cup? Don’t be fooled by the name – this meatless soup contains 10 grams of protein per serving to fill you up!
Vegan Sweet Potato, Quinoa, & Kale Soup
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and diced (1-inch cubes)
- 3 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- salt & pepper to taste
- 4 cups low-sodium, organic vegetable broth
- 2 cups water
- 4 cups kale, chopped
- Heat a large pot or Dutch oven pot to medium-high heat
- Add olive oil and garlic to the pot
- Cook until garlic is translucent (about 2 minutes), stirring frequently
- Add the diced sweet potatoes, parsley, cayenne pepper, onion powder, and thyme
- Cook until potatoes are slightly browned (about 10 minutes), stirring frequently
- Add vegetable broth and water and lower heat to a light simmer and cover to cook potatoes (Note: this is going to seem like a lot of liquid, but once the quinoa is added, the quinoa will absorb a lot of the liquid)
- Meanwhile, in a separate pot, cook the quinoa according to package instructions
- Once quinoa is cooked, add it right into to the soup pot
- Cover and let simmer until potatoes are fork tender (about 20 minutes)
- Once potatoes are tender, add chopped kale one handful at a time, letting the kale wilt after each addition
- Add salt and pepper to taste
- Serve and enjoy!
Nutrition Facts per serving: 284 calories, 6g fat, 3g monounsaturated fat, 1g polyunsaturated fat, 53g carbohydrates, 6g fiber, 10g protein
From Pure Barre enthusiast, Gabrielle Terzano, client at Pure Barre South Jersey, NJ – Haddonfield.
About Gabrielle: My passion is living well, eating healthy and being physically fit. I want to motivate others and be a mentor for people to lose weight or change their lifestyle for the better. I take classes at Northeastern University for my Master of Science in Nutrition with a concentration in Obesity and Nutritional Health.
Have a Pure Fuel recipe of your own that you’d like to share with the ‘Pure Barre Family?’ Submit your recipe and its story here for a chance to be featured on the Pure Barre blog!