Last night’s dinner was delicious! Wondering what to pack for lunch tomorrow? Cook once and eat twice by transforming tonight’s dinner into tomorrow’s lunch.
Check out our tips below for tasty lunch leftovers:
- Choose recipes that will fill the Pure Barre Portion Plate with 50% vegetables, 25% carbs and whole grains and 25% lean protein.
- Choose a recipe with hearty vegetables that can be reheated well (think snow peas, peppers, green beans, etc.)
- Consider doubling the recipe to ensure there will be leftovers.
- Keep your food safe by packing up your leftovers soon after your meal has finished cooking to avoid the temperature “danger zone.” Avoid leaving leftovers on the counter for hours before placing in the refrigerator as this could cause excess bacterial growth (and stomach aches).
- If you plan on re-heating your leftovers in the microwave, try bringing your lunch in a microwave safe glassware or porcelain bowl. If you are bringing your leftovers into work in a plastic container, consider transferring your lunch to a dish before reheating if possible to avoid possible exposure to the chemical BPA.
Not into eating your same exact dinner for lunch tomorrow? Before you ditch your meal and head out to a restaurant, here are some other ideas to transform your leftovers:
- The leftover salad. This is one of the best kept secrets around, even if you have just a small amount of leftovers. Add 1-1.5 cups of your leftover meat, vegetables and even grains/potatoes on top of a bed of salad greens with some nuts, and 2 Tablespoons of dressing and instantly transform your meal. A salad topped with chicken, sweet potatoes, green beans and walnuts is definitely something to look forward to!
- The leftover wrap. Take your leftover meat and vegetables and add them into a whole wheat wrap or pita pocket (option to add 2 Tablespoons of dressing, hummus or guacamole). Transform your chicken and vegetable stir fry into a teriyaki chicken and vegetable wrap! No reheating required.
Thank you for joining us for our #LunchHourMakeover series this week! If you have missed any of our brown bag success tips you can find them on our Pure Fuel blog here.