Change it up with your leftovers this Thanksgiving and plan for this light and clean soup.
The easy to make ginger-infused broth is paired with roasted turkey, fresh shiitake mushrooms, and crunchy pea shoots. It’s a healthy recipe for a totally new take on turkey leftovers!
Ginger-Infused Turkey Soup with Shiitake Mushrooms
- 2 cups of roasted turkey, chilled
- 1 quart low sodium chicken stock (find in organic aisle–choose stock over broth if possible)
- 2” knob of fresh ginger, sliced into 6 thin slices
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and sliced in half
- ¼ yellow onion, peeled and sliced thin
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro
- ½ teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- 1 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon Sambal Oelek or fresh chili paste (find in international aisle)
- 2 cups Shiitake mushrooms, sliced
Garnish Ingredients (pictured):
- Handful of fresh pea shoots (or fresh bean sprouts)
- ¼ cup of cilantro leaves
- Using your fingers, pull 2 cups of roasted turkey in to generous, 3-inch long strips. Set aside.
- Pour chicken stock into medium pot and bring to a boil.
- Add slices of ginger, garlic, and onion to the stock. Lower to a simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add 3 sprigs of cilantro (stem and leaves), and 1/4 teaspoon salt to the broth. Reserve remaining salt. Simmer another 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Using a slotted spoon, remove all the infusing ingredients—leaving a clear, flavorful broth.
- Mix the extra virgin olive oil and Sambal Oelek together. Stir into broth.
- Add the pulled turkey and bring the soup back to a simmer.
- Remove from heat and add mushrooms.
- Ladle soup into 6 bowls.
- Garnish with a generous handful of pea shoots or bean sprouts and a few fresh cilantro leaves.
Roasted chicken works well in this recipe too. Enjoy all year round!
– Megan Twining is a teacher at Pure Barre Crofton. As a graduate of The Culinary Institute of America, she has professionally cooked in restaurants, hotels, at the US Embassies in France, Lithuania, and Russia, and as a food stylist for the celebrity chefs of FOOD NETWORK. Follow the Pure Barre Crofton Foodie on Instagram: @megan.twining